Saturday, February 21, 2009

A new twist on watering the flowers...

In the category of 'Just when you think you have seen it all...', I found something that left me scratching my head again and saying, "You've got to be kidding!".

There is a talented San Francisco artist,
Clark Sorenson, who has turned his hand to making something utilitarian quite beautiful. Strange but beautiful.



This is not a composite photo. Each one of Sorenson's fully functional sculptures (sinks and urinals) is a hand-built and one-of-a-kind original. The sculptures range from $1,400-2,800 for a sink and $7,900-8,900 for a urinal. This particular one is $7,900. (Crating and shipping charges not included in this price.). Sorenson earned a Bachelor of Fine Arts Degree in Sculpture with honors from the University of Utah. He has been receiving worldwide attention for his work, which has been featured in numerous magazines and papers throughout the world.

After the initial shock wore off, I found myself thinking why shouldn't something functional also be beautiful. I would love to have one ofSorenson's sinks, if I could afford it. You can see more examples of Sorenson's work at http://www.clarkmade.com/. Along with his flowers, shells, and leaves, Sorenson has sculpted other functional pieces which also fall within the realm of political commentary. Be sure to check them out as well !

Warning, if you are a dyed-in-the-wool Republican with any heart problems, I highly recommend you have your nitro at hand before viewing his political line of sculptures. I would imagine some of his functional artwork on a political theme is on the wishlist of a number politicos around the world.

I'm thinking I may have to do a regular post on 'Just when I thought I had seen it all...'. Obviously, I have NOT seen it all yet, lol.

No comments:

Post a Comment