Saturday, January 10, 2009

Monkey Mind...

I've tried, several times today, to sit down and write a semi-coherent blog entry and it just isn't happening. I start out with one topic in mind and before long it morphs into several totally different topics.

In Eastern philosophy and meditation, when your mind strays from one thing to another and won't stay focused, it's called 'Monkey Mind'. It's an appropriate descriptor, I think. Today, I have a SERIOUS case of Monkey Mind.

I'm usually very focused when I write
. When I get like this it's usually a signal that I have something on my mental or emotional back burner that needs attention. I've found that it's a waste of energy to keep fighting it. It's time to go to my journal and meander and write until whatever is triggering this bout of Monkey Mind reveals itself.

Novelist Anita Bruckner says that, "You never know what you will learn till you start writing. Then you discover truths you never knew existed." I couldn't agree more. Laughing here...for me, journaling is a cheap and efficient substitute for psychotherapy.

I'll try again later or tomorrow to pull together a more coherent posting. Excuse me now, while I chase down those 'monkeys' that are destroying my concentration.

No comments:

Post a Comment