Saturday, January 10, 2009

Time Keeps On Slippin', Slippin'...


That great old song 'Fly Like an Eagle' from Steve Miller kept running through my head as I was thinking about this post. Remember that one? You can click here to listen to it.



I've been thinking about time today. Something we always seem to either have too much or not enough of. Wonder why there's usually no happy medium there? Oh well, that's another question for another day, I guess.

Have you ever thought "If I only I had more time I'd _____.". Maybe you've been overwhelmed by the size of a task or project and thought, "I don't even know where to begin.That's going to take forever!" or "I just don't have the energy for that big a task."

I certainly have!

Well, I was thinking about it and did some calculations.

10 minutes a day = 3,650 minutes in a year
10 minutes a day = 60.83 hours in a year
10 minutes a day = 2.53 days in a year

30 minutes a day = 10,950 minutes in a year
30 minutes a day = 182.5 hours
30 minutes a day = 7.6 days in a year

60 minutes a day = 21,900 min. in a year
60 minutes a day = 365 hours in a year
60 minutes a day = 15.21 days in a year


Hmmm, when you look at it that way, a small amount of time really adds up!

Mulling it over, the following things occurred to me:
  • While 10 minutes a day may not seem significant...if I fool around and waste 10 minutes a day, in a year I've lost 2.53 days.
  • If I spend just 10 minutes a day learning or doing something, in the course of a year I've learned or done a quite a bit.
  • I may not have the energy to work on something for 2 1/2 days straight. I can work on it every day for 10 minutes though.
  • At 10 minutes a day, in a year I'll have worked on it for 2 1/2 days.
  • I may not be able to work on something for more than 10 minutes at a time, but maybe I could do several increments of 10 minutes a day.
  • Wow...
    • 3 x 10 minute increments a day = 182.5 hours = 7.6 days in a year;
    • 6 x 10 minute increments a day = 365 hours = 15.21 days in a year.
  • If I'm overwhelmed at the thought of tackling a large project, cutting it into smaller increments isn't wimping out or a waste because it won't get me anywhere. It really will get the job done...it just won't happen as fast.
  • 10 (30 or 60, etc.) minutes a day, while manageable, adds up to a significant investment towards accomplishing a goal.
How about that? Something to think about, huh?

Think I'll play 'Fly Like An Eagle' again while I ponder this some more and decide what I'm going to do with some of those 10 minute increments.

No comments:

Post a Comment